When looking for a retirement community, there are a lot of factors to consider. This is a big life change; you don’t want to simply settle for the first community you find. You want it all, so it’s important to know how to find a retirement community that offers everything you need.
How to Find a Retirement Community
- The residences. When you look into retirement communities, one of the most important factors is where you’ll be living. Is the residence an apartment, an independent home, or something else? Will it come with the amenities you need? Briarwood offers both apartment-style and cottage homes. The apartments range from 630 to 1,098 square feet and come with assigned parking spaces, and the cottage homes range from 994 to 1,306 square feet and have an attached garage. Safety features such as shower bars are included in most bathrooms, and the homes include well-equipped kitchens so residents can cook their own meals.
- Dining options. While it’s nice to be able to cook for yourself, it’s sometimes better to let someone else handle the job. When looking for a community, be sure to ask about all the dining options available. Is there a dining room? What meals are served? Briarwood’s two dining rooms serve freshly made meals every day, and meals can always be customized for dietary restrictions or personal preference. In fact, coming together for meals is an integral part of community living at Briarwood, and is one of the best ways to meet fellow residents.
- Location, location, location. Living in a retirement community shouldn’t mean spending all day every day in the same place. Make sure that any retirement home you consider is in close proximity to things you enjoy or are important to you. You may want to be close to the theatre, restaurants, places of worship, or hospitals – without living in the middle of a city. Briarwood is set in a picturesque country setting surrounded by trees and walking trails. Despite this, it is only a short ride to Worcester’s world-class hospitals, a Broadway-like theatre, an art museum filled with masterpieces, multiple cultural attractions, a vibrant downtown, shopping, outstanding restaurants, and places of worship for all religions. And that’s only a partial list!
- Activities. It’s important to consider how to find a retirement community where you can continue to enjoy the things you like to do or where you can try new things. Residents are free to participate in as many or as few activities as they want. Some examples include wood shop, computer classes, excursions to Newport or other fun day trips, workout classes at the fitness center, book clubs, and exhibits and performances to see on site. Residents can take part in activities they enjoy or try something new; there’s no end to the variety the Briarwood lifestyle has to offer.
- The mission. Every retirement community has a mission, which is a simple summary of the agency’s values and goals. When considering a community, take some time to learn about their mission. Are they committed to serving you and your needs? Do their values align with yours? The Briarwood mission is to enhance the well-being, independence, and personal fulfillment of residents and other seniors by delivering high quality, coordinated housing, health, wellness, and supportive services consistent with the caring spirit of the founding churches. Briarwood provides a living and working environment based on mutual respect, trust, and support. A resident’s privacy is respected, but staff and peers reach out in friendship. Briarwood’s vision is to be an innovative leader in providing supportive services for successful aging. And if your needs should change, Briarwood’s support services can change too.
When you know how to find a retirement community that fits your unique needs, the decision process becomes a lot easier. This is what one resident had to say about their decision to move to Briarwood:
Are you interested in learning more about life at Briarwood? Come join us for a tour. We’ll be happy to show you around the facility, introduce you to the staff, and treat you to a dinner in our dining room.